In one month I will be twenty four. TWENTY FOUR. I am very aware that not long after that I’ll be twenty five, and very quickly I’ll be thirty. I’ve done a lot in my life so far, but I’m notorious for not sticking to things, even I actually really enjoy them. I’ve got thirteen months until I turn twenty five, and I’ve decided it’s time I actually did some of the things I keep saying I’ll do.
- Try one hobby/learn one skill each month
- I must work on it at least twice a week
- I can continue hobbies after their month has ended, but not at the detriment to the next month’s task
- I will document my progress twice a month here, and daily on Twitter
- My success is determined not by how good I am at the end of the month, but if I really put effort into learn something new
July: Mandarin Chinese
I started taking classes in Chinese several months ago but quit when I went through a period of upheaval in my personal life (see this post if you’re nosey). I’m no longer in a position to be able to resume those classes, but I still have all my textbooks and online resources. I haven’t cracked a book since I quit, but it’s time that changed.
I have a few vague ideas for other months; November will definitely be NaNoWriMo, and I fancy learning scuba diving, even if it’s just at my local pool. If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know in the comments or through Twitter. I may hold a poll every now and then so you can force me to attempt to learn something each month and then laugh at my suffering.
Documenting My Progress
I’ll be writing blog posts twice a month on my progress, half way through and at the end, letting you know how I get on. At the end of this, hopefully I’ll have learned a tonne and found a hobby I adore. Wish me luck and hit me up with your suggestions, as ridiculous or as dorky as you like.